Learn how to Apply for SSMF.
Alumni: Go to the Alumni Applicant page.
Go to the SSMF Online Recommendation Form.
- Two Letters of Recommendation (link to recommendation form)
- Music Resume & Repertoire List (entered directly into Musiccas.com)
- 2015 Application Form
- If applying for scholarship: 2015 Scholarship App and tax forms (U.S. residents) or proof of household income (international residents)
- Two Audition Files (audio or video)
- Application Fee
1. Please have all your materials BEFORE beginning the application prcoess.
2. Application Fees are $15 through January 31, 2015 & $60 after January 31. You must have completed your application through Musiccas to take advantage of the reduced fee.
3. All Alumni & pre-accepted students are exempt from submitting a musical audition file and recommendation letters unless you are applying for scholarship. The 2015 Application Form on musiccas.com and an application fee must still be submitted. Click here to go to the Alumni Applicant page.
4. You must submit all application materials through Musiccas at once. You cannot go back and add / subtract anything or submit materials any other way.
5. The earlier you apply, the quicker the response. Payment plans are available, though all fees must be paid by the final tuition deadline on May 08, 2015.
Students should submit a high-quality mp3 recording, audio only, containing a minimum of two contrasting works. One work may be an etude. A movement of a standard concerto or similar work is recommended. Orchestral excerpts are not required but may be submitted in addition to two other works.
Percussion applicants should submit a solo for snare drum, timpani and marimba ( four mallets) in addition, you may submit (2-3) of orchestral excerpts on snare drum, xylophone, and timpani. Excerpts are recommended, but not required.
Your submission of your application is your assurance that you are the performer in the recording, and that the recording is unedited.
No paper applications, forms, or cd audition tapes will be accepted. Do not mail anything to the SSMF Office.
The Scholarship Application can be filled out in Step 2 of the Musiccas application process.
All students wishing to be considered for assistance must submit this completed Scholarship Application (at the same time as their Admission Application) by March 15, 2015. Copies of 2013 or 2014 household income tax forms are required to verify income for all United States residents. International residents should provide some type of proof of income for their household.
Please note that students who are applying for scholarship MUST indicate this on their 2014 Application Form.
Visit our scholarships page for information on currently available SSMF scholarships.
Applications are only considered when all materials, including application fee, are submitted via the Musiccas online application portal.
Returning students do not need to submit letters of recommendation or audition files. A resume, repertoire list and application fee must still be submitted.
The application process for the Advanced Chamber Ensemble scholarship program (ACE) is separate from the individual SSMF application process. For your ensemble application (not your individual application), choose “Chamber Music” as your Festival discipline.
If you are applying as part of a Chamber Ensemble, members of the Ensemble must ALSO apply as individuals to SSMF in their specific discipline, and they must submit application and audition materials accordingly.
Even if your Chamber Ensemble is a returning Ensemble applicant, you WILL need to submit letters of recommendation and audition files that pertain to the Chamber Ensemble as a whole.
January 31, 2015
Deadline for early application ($15) – application completed through Musiccas.
Deadline for guaranteed consideration for wind players.
March 15, 2015
Regular admission deadline ($60) – application completed through Musiccas..
Deadline for guaranteed consideration for non-wind player.
The number of students accepted for each instrument is limited to those needed for the two orchestras. This ensures maximum benefit for each participant. Wind instrument places in particular are very limited and often fill before the March 15 deadline. Applicants are encouraged to apply early for full consideration. Those who wish to apply after the deadline should contact the SSMF office for information on place availability in their instrument.
Applicants will be notified of the status of their application within three (3) weeks of receipt of all application materials. A non-refundable deposit of $250 is due within two weeks (14 days) of the dated acceptance notification in order to reserve a place in the Festival.
Live auditions will be held in Sewanee on Sunday, February 28, 2015. Live auditions in other locations may be held by special arrangement. Contact the SSMF office for further information.
The Sewanee Summer Music Festival reserves the right to photograph and/or video students participating in camp classes, activities, concerts and performances. Photographs / video may be used for promotional purposes in press releases, brochures, on the SSMF/Rider web site, Facebook Fan Pages and in other publicity related or informational materials for Sewanee Summer Music Festival programs.
Your enrollment and participation in Sewanee Summer Music Festival constitutes permission granted for the use of likeness in the above mentioned manner.